Sep 25, 2017
This program is not currently accepting new students.
Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC) & Winona State University (WSU) - Program Location: Rochester, MN
First two years: MN Transfer Curriculum and Specialty Courses delivered by RCTC
Second two years: Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree in Special Education: Early Childhood at WSU (ECSE)
I. Minnesota Transfer Curriculum Courses (40 S.H.)
Courses must be selected from those approved to satisfy the competencies of Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MNTC) Goals 1-10. Consult the RCTC catalog listings to determine the specific courses that apply to the areas below.
Goal 1: Written and Oral Communication (11 S.H.)
- ENGL 1117 Reading & Writing Critically I (4 S.H.) †
- ENGL 1118 Reading & Writing Critically II (4 S.H.) †
- SPCH 1114 Fundamentals of Speech (3 S.H)
†Honors equivalent available.
Goal 2: Critical Thinking – May be met by any course in MNTC Goals 1-10
Goal 3: Natural Sciences (6 S.H.)
A minimum of two courses with labs from two different areas:
- earth science
Recommend Goal 10 from this category.
Goal 4: Mathematics/Symbolic Systems (3 S.H.)
- MATH 1111 Contemporary Concepts in Mathematics OR
- higher MATH course (3 S.H.)
Goal 5: History and the Social and Behavioral Sciences (10 S.H.)
- PSYC 2618 General Psychology (4 S.H.)
Two additional 3-credit courses from two different areas:
- political science
Recommend Goal 9 from this category.
Goal 6: Humanities–Arts, Literature, and Philosophy (9 S.H.)
- SPAN 1001 Introduction to Hispanic Cultures (3 S.H.)
- ENGL 2297 Survey of Children’s Literature (3 S.H.)
One additional 3-credit course selected from:
- ART 1170 OR
- HUM 1190 OR
- a music course OR
- SPCH 1125 (3 S.H.)
General Education Elective (1 S.H.)
Health and Human Performance (4 S.H.)
- HLTH 1111 Health Education (3 S.H.) OR
- HLTH 1132 Drug Use and Abuse (3 S.H.)
One additional credit:
- Any combination of health courses (numbered 1102, 1110, 1114, 1135, or 2126) and/or physical education courses (numbered 1100-1199).
- One credit may be selected from varsity athletics (PHED 1210-1236; 2210-2236) (1 S.H.)
Select a Goal 7, 8, 9, 10 course if these areas have not been met by a course selected in Goals 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
II. Program-Related Technical or Professional Courses (16 S.H.)
- CD 1310 Infant/Toddler Development & Learning (4 S.H.)
- CD 1340 Planning & Implementing Curriculum (3 S.H.)
- CD 2810 Practicum I (3 S.H.) OR
- CD 2840 Practicum II (3 S.H.)
- CD 1220 Child Safety, Health, Nutrition (3 S.H.) OR
- CD 2540 Supporting Children’s Mental Health (3 S.H.)
- CD 1320 Observing & Assessing (3 S.H.)
- Students who complete the RCTC coursework may apply for an AA degree. An AA degree waives WSU University Studies requirements except for the Flag requirements .
- Students should apply to WSU no later than the beginning of their third semester at RCTC or after completion of 30 S.H.
- Up to 72 S.H. from RCTC (or from RCTC and another MN State community college) may be transferred to WSU
- All RCTC Child Development (CD) technical S.H. are counted toward the total 120 S.H. needed for the WSU Special Education: Early Childhood BS degree. This allows RCTC students to transfer all CD courses to WSU.
Major Requirements at WSU
Professional Education Sequence (26 S.H.)
Specialty Courses (19 S.H.)
Licensure Courses (15 S.H.)
Total S.H. Required for a BS Degree in Special Education – Early Childhood: 120 SH
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement