May 27, 2024  
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Recreation, Tourism, and Therapeutic Recreation

122 Memorial Hall
507.457.5200, Fax: 507.457.5606
RTTR website
Roger Riley, Chairperson


Patricia Ardovino, Associate Professor; BS, MA, The Ohio State University; PhD, Indiana University; 2019 -
Begum Aybar-Damali, Associate Professor; BS, Middle East Technical University (Turkey); MS, PhD, Clemson University; 2009 -
James Reidy, Associate Professor; BS, MS, EdD, Oklahoma State University; 2000 -
Roger Riley, Professor; BS, MS, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse; PhD, Texas A&M University; 2000 -


The Department of Recreation, Tourism, and Therapeutic Recreation exists within the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. Through traditional and experiential methods, faculty prepare majors to become recreation, tourism, and therapeutic recreation (RTTR) professionals. The RTTR major leads to a Bachelor of Science degree. The department offers numerous RTTR courses which fulfill WSU’s two-semester hour requirement for Physical Development and Wellness. In addition to the RT and TR tracks, the department offers an Adventure Tourism minor (ADVT).

Career Opportunities

Recreation and Tourism (RT)

Graduates in the recreation and tourism major are qualified to obtain entry-level positions in the following settings:

  • Non-profit or voluntary agencies (e.g., YMCA-YWCA, Scouts)
  • Private settings that require memberships (e.g., golf or tennis clubs)
  • Military recreation
  • Commercial or “for-profit” agencies (e.g., theme parks, fitness centers)
  • Public, corporate, campus, or correctional recreation
  • Adventure-based outdoor programs and adventure travel/outfitting companies
  • Federal programs (e.g., U.S. Forest Service, National Parks Service, Bureau of Land Management)

Therapeutic Recreation (TR)

Graduates in the therapeutic recreation major are qualified to obtain entry-level positions in the following settings:

  • Special rehabilitation centers for persons with physical disabilities
  • Mental health facilities that treat a variety of psychological impairments
  • Nursing homes and retirement centers
  • Residential centers that care for persons with developmental disabilities
  • Some TR specialists also find employment in schools, half-way houses, or community recreation programs

Department Programs

Pass/No Credit (P/NC) Courses

Except for internships, students majoring or minoring in RTTR programs must take all courses in the major, minor, and options on a grade-only basis. Courses offered for pass/no credit-only or grade-only are so designated in the course descriptions. If no grading method is listed for a particular course in the course descriptions, the course may be taken for either grade or pass/no credit.

General Education Intensive Requirements

Students may use intensive courses to satisfy both General Education Program (GEP)  and major requirements. Intensive courses will usually be in the student’s major or minor program. The following are offered as GEP intensive courses in the RTTR Department:


Oral ()
Math/Critical Analysis (◆)
Writing (△)

Intensive courses that can be used to satisfy major/minor requirements are identified in the lists of required courses and electives.


    Bachelor of ScienceMinor