Aug 05, 2021
BS Major - Music Education (Teaching) (MSTI; MSTV)
136 S.H. (Total S.H. includes all General Education requirements.)
Note: All Winona State University teacher education programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Board of Teaching. Please contact your program advisor and refer to the Teacher Education Addendum for the latest information about program requirements whether you are (1) applying to a teacher education program, or (2) currently enrolled in a teacher education program.
Core Requirements (28 S.H.)
Required Courses: Both Vocal and Instrumental Licensures (26 S.H.)
Major Performing Large Ensemble (6 S.H.)
(See Note 1 below.)
Private Instruction in Major Applied Field (8 S.H.)
(See Note 2 below.)
Music Education Notes:
- Credits must all be taken in the large ensemble related to major performing medium. Students must participate in this large ensemble every semester they are enrolled as music majors.
- Students must enroll in a minimum of six semesters of applied lessons. Students must take at least two semesters of 2 credit/hour lessons.
Other Required Courses (Instrumental and Vocal Licensures) (13 S.H.)
Professional Education Sequence for K-12 and 5-12 Licensure (30-34 S.H.)
Note: Teaching majors must take all courses in the Professional Education Sequence in addition to courses in the content area. Professional Education Sequence courses require formal admission to the teacher education program. For more information about teacher education admission requirements, see “Teacher Education Licensure Programs .”
- EFRT 401 and 461 must be taken concurrently
- EFRT 421 and 441 must be taken concurrently
- EFRT 459 and 462 must be taken concurrently
In addition to the above course requirements, all students must:
- Pass a piano proficiency examination (see the Music Department for more information).
- Pass a guitar proficiency examination.
- Participate in small ensemble performance.
- Attend a specified proportion of music education workshops/seminars yearly.
- Pass Music Education Seminar (MUS 002 ) each semester they are enrolled as music education majors except when student teaching.
Additional Requirements for Vocal Majors (12 S.H.)
Private Instruction in Minor Applied Field (6 S.H.)
Substitution of up to two credits of MUS 335 permitted.
Music Technique (2 S.H.)
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement