Jul 07, 2022
120 S.H. Total
Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC) & Winona State University (WSU)
First two years: Associate in Sciences (AS) degree in Human Services at RCTC
Second two years: Bachelor of Social work (BSW) degree in Social Work at WSU
I. General Education Requirements
Courses must be selected from those approved to satisfy the competencies of Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MNTC) Goals 1-10. Consult the RCTC catalog listings to determine the specific courses that apply to the areas below.
Goal 1: Written and Oral Communication (11 S.H.)
- ENGL 1117 Reading & Writing Critically I (4 S.H.) †
- ENGL 1118 Reading & Writing Critically II (4 S.H.) †
- SPCH 1114 Fundamentals of Speech (3 S.H.)
Goal 2: Critical Thinking - Met by any course in MNTC Goals 1-10
Goal 3: Natural Science (7 S.H.)
- BIOL 1110 Human Biology (4 S.H.)
A second course with lab from the following areas:
- Chemistry (3 S.H.)
- Earth Science (3 S.H.)
- Physics (3 S.H.)
Goal 4: Mathematics (4 S.H.)
- MATH 2208 Fundamentals of Statistics (4 S.H.)
Goal 5: History and Social Sciences (10 S.H.)
- PSYC 2618 General Psychology (4 S.H.)
- PSYC 2626 Human Growth an Development (3 S.H.)
- SOC 1614 Introduction to Sociology (3 S.H.)
Goal 6: Humanities and Fine Arts (9 S.H.)
- SPAN 1001 Introduction to Hispanic Cultures (3 S.H.)
Two additional 3 S.H. courses from two different areas:
- English Literature
- Humanities †
- Journalism (American Cinema)
- Philosophy †
Select a Goal 7, 8, 9, 10 course if these areas have not been met by the courses used to meet Goals 1, 3, 4, 5, or 6.
† Honors equivalent available.
II. Program-Related, Technical or Professional Courses
Courses (19 S.H.)
- HS 1511 Medication Admin for Unlicensed Personnel (2 S.H.)
- HS 1522 Introduction to Human Services (3 S.H.)
- HS 1530 Health Issues (2 S.H.)
- HS 1550 Mental Health Disorders for HST Workers (2 S.H.)
- HS 1560 Chemical Dependency Theory (2 S.H.)
- HS 1570 Developmental Disabilities Theory (2 S.H.)
- HS 1575 Developmental Disabilities Field Experience (3 S.H.)
One of the following Field Experience courses are required:
- HS 1555 Mental Health Field Experience (3 S.H.) OR
- HS 1565 Chemical Dependency Field Experience (3 S.H.)
The award of this AS degree waives WSU General Education requirements except for the Physical Development and Wellness requirement and Intensives. Physical Development and Wellness Elective is required for WSU BSW degree completion. It may be completed at RCTC.
Students should apply to Winona State University at the beginning of their third semester at RCTC.
Students should enroll in WSU’s
in the spring semester before finishing their AS with RCTC.
Up to 72 credits from RCTC (or from RCTC and another MnSCU Community College) may be transferred to WSU.
III. Major Requirements at WSU
Total WSU credits = 60 S.H.
Required for a BS degree in Social Work = 120 S.H.
All required RCTC HS TECH credits are counted toward the total 120 credits needed for the WSU Social Work BSW degree. This allows RCTC students to transfer in all required Human Services/AS coursework to WSU.
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement