Jul 28, 2021
120 S.H. (no minor required)
2.75 GPA required.
Letter grade required in all major courses unless otherwise noted.
The mathematics teaching major prepares students for teaching mathematics in grades 5 to 12. This program is administered through the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and the College of Education. Therefore, majors must satisfy requirements of and be admitted to the College of Education in addition to satisfying the requirements of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
The College of Education course requirements are described under Professional Education Sequence. Students interested in a mathematics teaching major should contact the Department of Mathematics and Statistics for an advisor.
Mathematics - Secondary Teaching Major Map
Teacher Education Licensure Program Information
Students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Unit before taking Professional Education courses. This process is competitive; the number of students admitted each semester is limited. Admission is based on grades (2.75 GPA), passing Basic Skills Exams and other measures. For more information on this Admission process, visit the Teacher Education Program Admissions page.
All Winona State University Teacher Education Licensure Programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Board of Teaching. Please contact your program advisor for the latest information about program requirements whether you are (1) applying to a teacher education program, or (2) currently enrolled in a teacher education program.
Student Teaching Requirements
- complete all courses required for the major
- earn a B grade or better in MATH 212 & MATH 213
- earn a C grade or better and achieve a minimum 2.75 GPA in all major courses - including professional education sequence
- meet the requirements of the College of Education
- earn the recommendation of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Techniques of Continuous Mathematics (12 S.H.)
Theoretical and Discrete Mathematics (11 S.H.)
- ◆ MATH 313 - Differential Equations is required for mathematics major.
- With the academic advisor’s approval, a different upper-division MATH or STAT course may be substituted for the mathematics major.
Professional Education Sequence (36 S.H.)
Note: Teacher education majors must complete all Professional Education Sequence courses in addition to content area courses. Refer to Teacher Education Licensure Programs for more information.
- EDFD 401 and 461 must be taken concurrently
- EDFD 421 and 441 must be taken concurrently
- EDFD 459 and 462 must be taken concurrently
Student Teaching (12 S.H.)
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement
✪ = Civic Engagement and Service Learning