Jul 07, 2020
136 S.H. (includes GEP - no minor required)
2.75 GPA required.
C grade or better required in major courses.
Music Education Teaching
Core Requirements (28 S.H.)
Music Required Courses (26 S.H.)
Major Performing Large Ensemble (6 S.H.)
Credits must be taken in large ensemble related to major performing medium. Students must participate in large ensemble every semester enrolled as music majors.
Private Instruction in Major Applied Field (8 S.H.)
Students must enroll in 6 semesters of applied lessons. Students must take at least 2 semesters of 2 credit/hour lessons.
Other Required Courses (7 S.H.)
In addition to the above course requirements, all students must:
- Pass a piano proficiency examination (see the Music Department for more information).
- Pass a guitar proficiency examination.
- Participate in small ensemble performance.
- Attend a specified proportion of music education workshops/seminars yearly.
- Pass Music Education Seminar (MUS 2 ) each semester they are enrolled as music education majors except when student teaching.
Teacher Education Licensure Program Information
Students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Unit before taking Professional Education courses. This process is competitive; the number of students admitted each semester is limited. Admission is based on grades (2.75 GPA), passing Basic Skills Exams and other measures. For more information on this Admission process, visit the Teacher Education Program Admissions page.
All Winona State University Teacher Education Licensure Programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Board of Teaching. Please contact your program advisor for the latest information about program requirements whether you are (1) applying to a teacher education program, or (2) currently enrolled in a teacher education program.
Professional Education Sequence (36 S.H.)
Note: Teacher education majors must complete all Professional Education Sequence courses in addition to content area courses. Refer to Teacher Education Licensure Programs for more information.
- EDFD 401 and 461 must be taken concurrently
- EDFD 421 and 441 must be taken concurrently
- EDFD 459 and 462 must be taken concurrently
Student Teaching (12 S.H.)
Additional Requirements for Instrumental Majors (12 S.H.)
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement
✪ = Civic Engagement and Service Learning