45 S.H. (minor required)
2.5 GPA required
C grade or better required in major courses.
Communication Studies - Leadership and Advocacy Major Map
This option is designed to prepare students to take a leadership role in private, public, and not-for-profit organizations. Students choosing this option will learn how to reach appropriate audiences effectively, advocate on the behalf of others, develop messages to inform and persuade target audiences, and identify problems and implement appropriate solutions. Special emphasis is placed on the use of computer mediated communication to communicate and network across a variety of settings. Students who major in the Leadership and Advocacy Option will be expected to:
- Create compelling, effective arguments
- Analyze, create and adapt public messages
- Identify and apply theories of leadership and persuasion
- Be able to resolve conflict in a variety of settings through the use of conflict resolution strategies, mediation, assertion, arbitration, advocacy and third party negotiation
- Use computer mediated communication to effectively communicate and network in a variety of settings
Note: Students cannot select both a major and a minor within the Communication Studies department - the declared minor must be selected from programs outside the department.