Jan 20, 2021
60 S.H. (no minor required)
2.75 GPA required.
Letter grade required in all major courses unless otherwise noted.
Austin Public Schools, Riverland Community College, and Winona State University are working together to offer the opportunity to earn an Associate in Arts (AA) degree in Liberal Arts through Riverland and a Bachelor of Science-Teaching (BT) Degree in Elementary Education through WSU all without leaving the Austin community.
General Education Program Requirements (40 S.H.)
Courses must be selected from those approved to satisfy the competencies of Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MNTC) Goals 1-10. Consult the Riverland catalog listings to determine the specific courses that apply to the areas below. All ten goal areas must be met; some courses may be used to meet a goal in 1-6 as well as a goal in 7-10.
Goal 1: Written & Oral Communication (9 S.H.)
- ENGL 1101 - Freshmen English (3 S.H.)
- ENGL 1105 - Writing From Library Sources (3 S.H.)
- Note: Minimum grade of “B” in one of the two courses is required.
- SPCH 1100 - Fundamentals of Speech (3 S.H.)
- Note: Minimum grade of “B” is required.
Goal 2: Critical Thinking
This goal area may be met by any course in MNTC 1-10 goals.
Goal 3: Natural Sciences (6 S.H.)
Requires two courses with labs from two different science areas.
Goal 4: Mathematics (3 S.H.)
- MATH 2203 - Numbers and Number Systems for Elementary Education Majors (3 S.H.)
- Note: Depending upon Accuplacer test results, a developmental math course(s) may be necessary as a prerequisite. Minimum grade of “C” is required in at least one Math course prior to admission.
Goal 5: History & Social Sciences (9 S.H.)
History (3 S.H.)
- HIST 1001 - U.S. History: Colonial to 1877 (3 S.H.)
- HIST 1002 - U.S. History: 1877 to Present (3 S.H.)
Social Science (6 S.H.)
Choose 6 S.H. from two different disciplines.
Goal 6: Humanities & Fine Arts (9 S.H.)
A minimum of 9 S.H., including two courses from two different disciplines in Area A and one course in Area B.
Goals 7-10: Human Diversity, Global Perspective, Civic and Ethical Responsibility, & People and the Environment
Select a course that meets Goals 7, 8, 9, and 10 if any of these goals have not been met by the courses used to meet Goals 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
Health and Human Performance (2 S.H.)
- ✽ HLTH 1100 - Health (2 S.H.)
Professional Requirement (4 S.H.)
- MATH 1110 - College Algebra
- STAT 2021 - Fundamentals of Statistics
- Other higher level MATH class (College Algebra or higher)
Note: Depending upon Accuplacer test results, a developmental math course(s) may be required as a prerequisite. Minimum grade of “C” is required in at least one Math course prior to admission.
- HSER 1110 (1 credit option)
- Complete the Early Clinical requirement through a comparable work or volunteer experience that involves working with children following high school graduation. If you choose this option, then your supervisor will need to fill out the Early Clinical Documentation Form .
Teacher Education Licensure Program Information
Students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Unit before taking Professional Education courses. This process is competitive; the number of students admitted each semester is limited. Admission is based on grades (2.75 GPA), passing Basic Skills Exams and other measures. For more information on this Admission process, visit the Teacher Education Program Admissions page.
All Winona State University Teacher Education Licensure Programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Board of Teaching. Please contact your program advisor for the latest information about program requirements whether you are (1) applying to a teacher education program, or (2) currently enrolled in a teacher education program.
Elementary Education Core (60 S.H.)
Professional Education Sequence & Training Methods (12 S.H.)
Clinical Practice Required Courses (11 S.H.)
Additional Required Courses (29 S.H.)
Student Teaching (8 S.H.)
A total of 120 S.H. are required for a Bachelor’s Degree. After General Education Program (GEP) and Major requirements are met, electives can be taken to meet the 120 S.H. requirement.
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement
✪ = Civic Engagement and Service Learning