Jun 15, 2021
77 S.H. (no minor required)
2.8 GPA required.
C grade or better required in major courses.
Exercise Science - Clinical Exercise Science Major Map
Exercise and Rehabilitative Science
A student choosing to major in Exercise and Rehabilitative Sciences may choose Clinical Exercise Science, Exercise Science, or Movement Science. Each of these programs leads to a Bachelor of Science degree. The programs in Exercise and Rehabilitative Sciences have been designed in accordance with the requirements of the leading national organizations: American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
- Students interested in working with patients having chronic conditions (such as cardiac, pulmonary) in a clinical setting should choose Clinical Exercise Science.
- Students interested in exercise and health programming in a variety of settings such as fitness centers, worksite settings, or athletic programs should choose Exercise Science.
- Students interested in pursuing graduate studies in exercise or rehabilitative sciences (such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, chiropractic medicine, physician’s assistant, kinesiology, biomechanics, exercise physiology) should choose Movement Science. Additional information on exercise science career opportunities can be found online through the following organizations: American College of Sports and Medicine, National Strength and Conditioning Association, and American Society of Exercise Physiologists.
For a checklist of the University’s graduation requirements, see the Academic Policies & University Requirements section of this catalog. Specific academic requirements for Exercise and Rehabilitative Sciences majors are described within each major.
HERS Core Requirements (41 S.H.)
Health, Exercise, and Rehabilitative Sciences (30 S.H.)
- HERS 560/568 may count in place of HERS 460/468 for students accepted into MSAT program.
Statistics (3 S.H.)
Clinical Exercise Science
- Clinically focused exercise physiology
- Cardiovascular, pulmonary and metabolic disease patients
- Reducing risk factors and providing rehabilitation in clinic or hospital setting
- Future jobs include: Hospitals or Clinics
This clinically focused exercise physiology major has several career-related tracks. Its primary purpose is to prepare students to care for individuals who suffer from chronic conditions such as cardiovascular, pulmonary, and metabolic disorders and diseases utilizing a therapeutic program of exercise, risk factor reduction and education in a structured rehabilitation setting. Hospitals and/or clinics are the primary employers. The curriculum is structured around the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) knowledge, skill, and ability learner outcomes; students are encouraged to sit for the ACSM (Certified Clinical Exercise Physiology) certification exam after graduation. Practical clinical experiences in our on-campus Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention Program and at Winona Health (Winona, MN) are required. A 600-hour “capstone” clinical internship is also required when all coursework is complete. The internship site locations are national in scope of placement.
Many students who enter this field choose related allied health tracks for employment as a result of their practical and internship experience. Some further their education in a special clinical field (echocardiogram is one example). Our students are also satisfactorily employed in diagnostic cardiopulmonary testing labs, patient education positions, community rehabilitation programs, ECG fields, and other clinical related specialties.
More information can be obtained from www.acsm.org or www.asep.org/ or www.AACVPR.org.
Application process and requirements are available on the Clinical Exercise Science website.
Required Courses (36 S.H.)
Health, Exercise and Rehabilitative Sciences (32 S.H.)
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement
✪ = Civic Engagement and Service Learning