Jun 15, 2021
60 S.H. (no minor required)
2.75 GPA required.
Letter grade required in all major courses unless otherwise noted.
This program is designed to support the working Paraprofessional. Completion of 60 credits, or the equivalent to an Associate in Arts degree, is a prerequisite. The 60 credits of this paraprofessional to teacher program, provide the student with a Bachelor of Science (BS) Teaching Degree in Elementary Education at WSU.
A teacher of elementary education is authorized to design, implement, and evaluate developmentally appropriate learning experiences for children from kindergarten through grade 6 in a variety of public school K-6 settings. The elementary teacher collaborates with families, colleagues, and related service personnel to enhance the learning of all children. Students in this program will be eligible for Elementary Education Licensure (K-6).
RCTC General Education Program Requirements (40 S.H.)
Courses must be selected from those approved to satisfy the competencies of Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MNTC) Goals 1-10. Consult the RCTC catalog listings to determine the specific courses that apply to the areas below. All ten goal areas must be met; some courses may be used to meet a goal in 1-6 as well as a goal in 7-10.
Goal 1: Written and Oral Communication (11 S.H.)
- ENGL 1117 - Reading & Writing Critically I (4 S.H.)
- ENGL 1118 - Reading & Writing Critically II (4 S.H.)
- Note: Minimum grade of B in one of the two is required
- COMM 1114 - Fundamentals of Speech (3 S.H.)
- Note: Minimum grade of B is required
Goal 2: Critical Thinking
This goal area may be met by any course in MNTC 1-10 goals.
Goal 3: Natural Science (6 S.H.)
- SCIE 1100 - covers Biology and Chemistry (3 S.H.)
- SCIE 1200 - covers Earth Science and Physics (3 S.H.)
Goal 4: Mathematics (3 S.H.)
- MATH 1090 - Statway Statistics II (3 S.H.)
- MATH 1115 - College Algebra (3 S.H.)
- MATH 2208 - Fundamentals of Statistics (3 S.H.)
- Note: Depending upon Accuplacer test results, MATH 0098 and/or MATH 0099 may be required as prerequisites. Minimum C grade is required.
Goal 5: History and Social Sciences (9 S.H.)
- HIST 1624 - U.S. History to 1865 (3 S.H.)
- HIST 1625 - U.S. History 1865 to Present (3 S.H.)
Choose 6 S.H. from two different areas:
- Political Science
Goal 6: Humanities and Fine Arts (9 S.H.)
- ENGL 2297 - Children’s Literature (3 S.H.)
- MUSC 1001 - Music Fundamentals (3 S.H.)
Choose 3 S.H. from one area:
- Foreign Culture
- Mass Comm 1106
Goals 7-10: Human Diversity, Global Perspective, Civic and Ethical Responsibility, & People and the Environment
Select a course that meets Goals 7, 8, 9, and 10 if any of these goals have not been met by the courses used to meet Goals 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6. If you are interested in being licensed in the state of WI along with MN, take BIOL 1100 to fulfill your Goal 10 requirement.
Health and Human Performance (3 S.H.)
- HLTH 1111 - Health Education (3 S.H.)
- HLTH 1132 - Drug Use and Abuse (3 S.H.)
Teacher Education Licensure Program Information
Students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Unit before taking Professional Education courses. This process is competitive; the number of students admitted each semester is limited. Admission is based on grades (2.75 GPA), passing Basic Skills Exams and other measures. For more information on this Admission process, visit the Teacher Education Program Admissions page.
All Winona State University Teacher Education Licensure Programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Board of Teaching. Please contact your program advisor for the latest information about program requirements whether you are (1) applying to a teacher education program, or (2) currently enrolled in a teacher education program.
Elementary Education Core (60 S.H.)
Professional Education Sequence & Training Methods (12 S.H.)
Clinical Practice Required Courses (11 S.H.)
Additional Required Courses (29 S.H.)
Student Teaching (8 S.H.)
A total of 120 S.H. are required for a Bachelor’s Degree. After general education and major requirements are met, electives can be taken to meet the 120 S.H. requirement for graduation.
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement
✪ = Civic Engagement and Service Learning