Jun 14, 2021
107-109 S.H. (no minor required)
2.5 GPA required.
Letter grade required in all major courses unless otherwise noted.
Students can only earn one major or minor from the physics department.
General Engineering: Industrial Statistics Major Map
The General Engineering program provides students with a broad, foundational, coursework in engineering (core courses) which then requires students to choose from two options, Electronics or Industrial Statistics, to complete their graduation requirements. Our mission is to provide our graduates with a broad skill set in engineering, science, mathematics, and technology so they can tackle the associated issues of our society.
Student Learning Outcomes
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
General Engineering majors will be placed on probation if their previous semester’s GPA in courses required for the major falls below 2.0 or if they do not complete at least one course in the major each semester. Students will be disqualified from the major if they have been on probation for two consecutive semesters or for three non-consecutive semesters after admission to the major. Petition for reinstatement will be considered by the Department of Physics.
General Education Requirements
The General Education requirements for General Engineering majors consist of 46 S.H. distributed across the ten General Education Goal Areas. These include the courses listed below under goal areas 1-4 (total of 31 S.H.) and one 3 or 4 S.H. in each of goal areas 5-10 (a minimum of 15 S.H.). At least one course should be dually listed in goal areas 5-10. In addition, 12 S.H. of intensive courses are required; these courses are shown under intensives section. Note: Students who receive a waiver from certain General Education courses must take an equal number of credit hours of elective courses to meet the 128-credit requirement. View the General Education Program for Engineering Majors .
Admission to the General Engineering major is selective and is determined by the Engineering Admissions Committee. Before students can be considered for admission to the major, they:
- Must complete 4 S.H. of English composition, 3 S.H. of speech communication, and a minimum of 38 S.H. of required lower-division engineering, physics, mathematics, and chemistry courses. These courses can be taken at WSU or transferred from other institutions. However, courses with grades below C will not be accepted in transfer.
- Must have obtained a C grade or higher in the courses required for admission into the GEN major and have a minimum 2.5 GPA in these required courses.
- Must not have more than a total of five repeats in the courses required for admission to the GEN major, regardless of whether these courses were taken at WSU or transferred from other institutions.
- Will not be allowed to enroll in upper-division 300-level engineering courses until either they are admitted into the major or they are granted special permission from their Department of Physics major advisor.
Admission Courses (46 S.H.)
C grade or better and 2.5 GPA required.
Required Core Courses (37-39 S.H.)
Physics or Engineering (10-12 S.H.)
Industrial Statistics Emphasis (24 S.H.)
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement
✪ = Civic Engagement and Service Learning