Apr 14, 2021
97-98 credits (no minor required)
2.5 GPA required.
Letter grade required in all major courses unless otherwise noted.
The Biology department, in cooperation with other science departments and the College of Education, administers a Board of Teaching approvable program to meet the needs of 21st century science teachers at the 9-12 grade level.
Biology: Life Science Teaching Major Map
Biology Core Courses (19 credits)
Lab - Choose one (1 credit)
Life Science Requirements (6 credits)
Life Science Electives (12 credits)
At least 12 credits of approved elective courses to be chosen from the biology electives listed below. It is strongly recommended that the elective requirements be fulfilled from the following courses; students should carefully choose electives with the aid of the life science advisor to ensure broad knowledge and skill in biology:
Other Required Courses (27-28 credits)
Mathematics - Choose one (3-4 credits)
Teacher Education Licensure Program Information
Students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Unit before taking Professional Education courses. This process is competitive; the number of students admitted each semester is limited. Admission is based on grades (2.75 GPA) and other measures. For more information on this Admission process, visit the Teacher Education Program Admissions page.
All Winona State University Teacher Education Licensure Programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board. Please contact your program advisor for the latest information about program requirements whether you are (1) applying to a teacher education program, or (2) currently enrolled in a teacher education program.
Criteria required semester before completing online application:
- 30 college level credits completed with no more than 4 credits of pass/no credit courses
- Cumulative G.P.A. of at least ≥ 2.75 based on 30 most recent credits including all credits per semester
- B grade or better in a 3-credit college level writing course (ENG 111 if taken at WSU)
- B grade or better in a 3-credit college level speech course (CMST 191 or 192 if taken at WSU)
- C grade or better in a 3-credit college level math course (Math 202 is required for Elementary and Early Childhood majors)
- Early Clinical experience; clinical hours ≥ 15 hours:
- Can be met by taking college level course(s) with clinical hours (including courses enrolled in the semester of the TE Admission application). Syllabus/clinical hour evaluation needed if non-WSU course.
- Can be met through a comparable work or volunteer experience completed after high school graduation. Complete Early Clinical Form with supervisor and return to 212 Cathedral.
Professional Education Sequence (33 credits)
Note: Teacher education majors must complete all Professional Education Sequence courses in addition to content area courses. Refer to Teacher Education Licensure Programs for more information.
- EDFD 401 and 461 must be taken concurrently
- EDFD 421 and 441 must be taken concurrently
- EDFD 459 and 462 must be taken concurrently
Student Teaching (12 credits)
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement
✪ = Civic Engagement and Service Learning