Apr 10, 2021
136 S.H. (includes GEP - no minor required)
2.75 GPA required.
C grade or better required in major courses.
Music Education Teaching
Core Requirements (28 credits)
Music Required Courses (26 credits)
Major Performing Large Ensemble (6 credits)
Credits must be taken in large ensemble related to major performing medium. Students must participate in large ensemble every semester enrolled as music majors.
Private Instruction in Major Applied Field (8 credits)
Students must enroll in 6 semesters of applied lessons. Students must take at least 2 semesters of 2 credit/hour lessons.
Other Required Courses (7 credits)
In addition to the above course requirements, all students must:
- Pass a piano proficiency examination (see the Music Department for more information).
- Pass a guitar proficiency examination.
- Participate in small ensemble performance.
- Attend a specified proportion of music education workshops/seminars yearly.
- Pass Music Education Seminar (MUS 002 ) each semester they are enrolled as music education majors except when student teaching.
Teacher Education Licensure Program Information
Students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Unit before taking Professional Education courses. This process is competitive; the number of students admitted each semester is limited. Admission is based on grades (2.75 GPA) and other measures. For more information on this Admission process, visit the Teacher Education Program Admissions page.
All Winona State University Teacher Education Licensure Programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board. Please contact your program advisor for the latest information about program requirements whether you are (1) applying to a teacher education program, or (2) currently enrolled in a teacher education program.
Criteria required semester before completing online application:
- 30 college level credits completed with no more than 4 credits of pass/no credit courses
- Cumulative G.P.A. of at least ≥ 2.75 based on 30 most recent credits including all credits per semester
- B grade or better in a 3-credit college level writing course (ENG 111 if taken at WSU)
- B grade or better in a 3-credit college level speech course (CMST 191 or 192 if taken at WSU)
- C grade or better in a 3-credit college level math course (Math 202 is required for Elementary and Early Childhood majors)
- Early Clinical experience; clinical hours ≥ 15 hours:
- Can be met by taking college level course(s) with clinical hours (including courses enrolled in the semester of the TE Admission application). Syllabus/clinical hour evaluation needed if non-WSU course.
- Can be met through a comparable work or volunteer experience completed after high school graduation. Complete Early Clinical Form with supervisor and return to 212 Cathedral.
Professional Education Sequence (36 credits)
Note: Teacher education majors must complete all Professional Education Sequence courses in addition to content area courses. Refer to Teacher Education Licensure Programs for more information.
- EDFD 401 and 461 must be taken concurrently
- EDFD 421 and 441 must be taken concurrently
- EDFD 459 and 462 must be taken concurrently
Student Teaching (12 credits)
Additional Requirements for Vocal Majors (12 S.H.)
Private Instruction in Minor Applied Field (6 S.H.)
Substitution of up to two credits of MUS 335 permitted.
Music Technique (2 S.H.)
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement
✪ = Civic Engagement and Service Learning