Feb 08, 2023
77 credits (no minor required)
2.75 GPA required.
Letter grade required in all major courses unless otherwise noted.
A major in Elementary Education/K-6 (ELEM) is designed to prepare teacher candidates to design, implement, and evaluate developmentally appropriate learning experiences for children from kindergarten through grade 6 in a variety of school settings. The elementary teacher collaborates with families, colleagues, and related service personnel to enhance the learning of all children. Students who successfully complete this program and program-related assessments will be eligible to be recommended for Elementary Education Licensure in MN.
Teacher Education Licensure Program Information
Students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Unit before taking Professional Education courses. This process is competitive; the number of students admitted each semester is limited. Admission is based on grades (2.75 GPA) and other measures. For more information on this Admission process, visit the Teacher Education Program Admissions page.
All Winona State University Teacher Education Licensure Programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board. Please contact your program advisor for the latest information about program requirements whether you are (1) applying to a teacher education program, or (2) currently enrolled in a teacher education program.
Criteria required semester before completing online application:
- 30 college level credits completed with no more than 4 credits of pass/no credit courses
- Cumulative G.P.A. of at least ≥ 2.75 based on 30 most recent credits including all credits per semester
- B grade or better in a 3-credit college level writing course (ENG 111 if taken at WSU)
- B grade or better in a 3-credit college level speech course (CMST 191 or 192 if taken at WSU)
- C grade or better in a 3-credit college level math course (Math 202 is required for Elementary and Early Childhood majors)
- Early Clinical experience; clinical hours ≥ 15 hours:
- Can be met by taking college level course(s) with clinical hours (including courses enrolled in the semester of the TE Admission application). Syllabus/clinical hour evaluation needed if non-WSU course.
- Can be met through a comparable work or volunteer experience completed after high school graduation. Complete Early Clinical Form with supervisor and return to 212 Cathedral.
Elementary Education GEP Courses
These courses are typically taken as part of the General Education Program (GEP) prior to admission to Teacher Education.
Goal 1: Communication (7 credits)
Required for all WSU students.
Goal 5 Recommendation
Choose one recommended course to count under GEP Goal 5.
Other Goal Recommendations
Required Education/GEP Courses (14 credits)
These required courses also meet GEP goals.
License Requirements (13 credits)
Professional Educational Sequence (30 credits)
Note: Teacher education majors must complete all Professional Education Sequence courses in addition to content area courses. Refer to Teacher Education Licensure Programs for more information.
Student Teaching (12 credits)
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement
✪ = Civic Engagement and Service Learning