Oct 22, 2021
76 S.H. (no minor required)
2.5 GPA required.
Letter grade required in all major courses unless otherwise noted.
This program prepares students to become teachers licensed by the state of Minnesota to teach K-12 students with mild disabilities including mild developmental cognitive disabilities, mild specific learning disabilities, mild emotional/behavioral disorders, mild autism spectrum disorders, and mild other health disabilities.
Teacher Education Licensure Program Information
Students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Unit before taking Professional Education courses. For more information on this Admission process, visit the Teacher Education Program Admissions page.
All Winona State University Teacher Education Licensure Programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board. Please contact your program academic advisor for the latest information about program requirements.
Criteria required to be met one semester before completing online application:
- 30 college level credits completed with no more than 4 credits of pass/no credit
- Cumulative G.P.A. of at least ≥ 2.75 based on 30 most recent credits including all credits per semester
- B grade or better in a 3-credit college level writing course (ENG 111 if taken at WSU)
- B grade or better in a 3-credit college level speech course (CMST 191 or 192 if taken at WSU)
- C grade or better in a 3-credit college level math course (Math 202 is required for Elementary and Early Childhood majors)
- Early Clinical experience; clinical hours ≥ 15 hours:
- Can be met by taking college level course(s) with clinical hours (including courses enrolled in the semester of the TE Admission application). Syllabus/clinical hour evaluation needed if non-WSU course.
- Can be met through a comparable work or volunteer experience completed after high school graduation. Complete Early Clinical Form with supervisor and return to 212 Cathedral.
Professional Education Sequence (18 S.H.)
Note: Teacher education majors must complete all Professional Education Sequence courses in addition to content area courses. Refer to Teacher Education Licensure Programs for more information.
Special Education Core Classes (15 S.H.)
Reading Methods (10 S.H.)
Academic & Behavioral Strategist Core (33 S.H.)
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement
✪ = Civic Engagement and Service Learning