Aug 08, 2022
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog
Mathematics - Secondary Teaching (MTHT) - BT Major
120 credits (no minor required)
2.75 GPA required.
Letter grade required in all major courses unless otherwise noted.
The mathematics teaching major prepares students for teaching mathematics in grades 5 to 12. This program is administered through the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and the College of Education. Therefore, majors must satisfy requirements of and be admitted to the College of Education in addition to satisfying the requirements of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
The College of Education course requirements are described under Professional Education Sequence. Students interested in a mathematics teaching major should contact the Department of Mathematics and Statistics for an advisor.
Mathematics Education Major Map
Teacher Education Licensure Program Information
Students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Unit before taking Professional Education courses. For more information on this Admission process, visit the Teacher Education Program Admissions page.
All Winona State University Teacher Education Licensure Programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board. Please contact your program academic advisor for the latest information about program requirements.
Criteria required to be met one semester before completing online application:
- 30 college level credits completed with no more than 4 credits of pass/no credit
- Cumulative G.P.A. of at least ≥ 2.75 based on 30 most recent credits including all credits per semester
- B grade or better in a 3-credit college level writing course (ENG 111 if taken at WSU)
- B grade or better in a 3-credit college level speech course (CMST 191 or 192 if taken at WSU)
- C grade or better in a 3-credit college level math course (Math 202 is required for Elementary and Early Childhood majors)
- Early Clinical experience; clinical hours ≥ 15 hours:
- Can be met by taking college level course(s) with clinical hours (including courses enrolled in the semester of the TE Admission application). Syllabus/clinical hour evaluation needed if non-WSU course.
- Can be met through a comparable work or volunteer experience completed after high school graduation. Complete Early Clinical Form with supervisor and return to 212 Cathedral.
Student Teaching Requirements
- complete all courses required for the major
- earn a C grade or better and achieve a minimum 2.75 GPA in all major courses - including professional education sequence
- meet the requirements of the College of Education
- earn the recommendation of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Major Courses (54 credits)
Techniques of Continuous Mathematics (12 credits)
Theoretical and Discrete Mathematics (11 credits)
- ◆ MATH 313 - Differential Equations is required for mathematics major.
- With the academic advisor’s approval, a different upper-division MATH or STAT course may be substituted for the mathematics major.
Professional Education Sequence (36 credits)
Note: Teacher education majors must complete all Professional Education Sequence courses in addition to content area courses. Refer to Teacher Education Licensure Programs for more information.
- EDFD 401 and 461 must be taken concurrently
- EDFD 421 and 441 must be taken concurrently
- EDFD 459 and 462 must be taken concurrently
Student Teaching (12 credits)
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement