Jul 29, 2021
120 S.H. (No Minor Required)
Note: All Winona State University teacher education programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Board of Teaching. Please contact your program advisor and refer to the Teacher Education Addendum for the latest information about program requirements whether you are (1) applying to a teacher education program, or (2) currently enrolled in a teacher education program.
The mathematics teaching major prepares students for teaching mathematics in grades 5 to 12. This program is administered through the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and the College of Education. Therefore, majors must satisfy requirements of and be admitted to the College of Education in addition to satisfying the requirements of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
The College of Education course requirements are described under “Additional Coursework”. Students interested in a mathematics teaching major should contact the Department of Mathematics and Statistics for an advisor.
Student Teaching Requirements
To receive departmental recommendation for student teaching, a student must:
- Complete all courses required for the major.
- Earn a grade of “B” or better in MATH 160 and 165.
- Earn a grade of “C” or better and achieve a minimum 2.75 GPA in all MATH, MTED, and STAT courses required for the major.
- Meet the requirements of the College of Education. . MTED 320 and MTED 420 must be completed prior to student teaching.
Additional Graduation Requirements
For a checklist of the University’s graduation requirements, see Graduation Requirements .
Departmental Core (23 S.H.)
Techniques of Continuous Mathematics – MATH (12 S.H.)
Introduction to Theoretical and Discrete Mathematics – MATH (8 S.H.)
Statistics – STAT (3 S.H.)
† MATH 313 is required for the mathematics major.
‡ With the academic advisor’s approval, a different upper-division MATH or STAT course may be substituted for the mathematics major.
Required Courses - Mathematics (28 S.H.)
Electives (4 S.H.)
In consultation with an advisor, students should choose from a non-major course numbered MATH 300 and above or STAT 310 and above.
Professional Educational Sequence (36 S.H.)
Note: Teacher education majors must take all courses in the Professional Education Sequence in addition to courses in the content area. Refer to the “Teacher Education Licensure Programs ” section of this catalog for more information.
- EFRT 401 and 461 must be taken concurrently
- EFRT 421 and 441 must be taken concurrently
- EFRT 459 and 462 must be taken concurrently
- Students are also required to take 12 S.H. of Student Teaching. This course varies by department and program. See advisor for more information.
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement