Apr 22, 2024  
2013-2014 Undergraduate Catalog 
2013-2014 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Recreation, Tourism and Therapeutic Recreation

122 Memorial Hall (507.457.5200 or 507.457.5202), Fax: 507.457.5606
Lorene S. Olson (Chairperson)


Begum Aybar-Damali, Assistant Professor; BS, Middle East Technical University (Turkey); MS, PhD, Clemson University; 2009 –
Lorene Olson, Professor; BS, MS, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse; PhD, University of New Mexico; 1989 –
James Reidy, Associate Professor; BS, MS, EdD, Oklahoma State University; 2000 –
Roger Riley, Professor; BS, MS, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse; PhD, Texas A&M University; 2000 –


The Department of Recreation, Tourism and Therapeutic Recreation exists within the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. Through traditional, as well as experiential methods, the faculty prepare majors to become recreation, tourism, and therapeutic recreation (RTTR) professionals. The RTTR major leads to a non-teaching Bachelor of Science degree. The department offers numerous RTTR courses, which fulfill WSU’s two-semester hour requirement for Physical Development and Wellness. In addition to the RT and TR tracks, the department offers an Adventure Tourism minor (ADVT).

Career Opportunities

Recreation and Tourism (RT)

Graduates in the recreation and tourism major are qualified to obtain entry-level positions in the following settings:

  • Non-profit or voluntary agencies (e.g., YMCA-YWCA, Scouts)
  • Private settings that require memberships (e.g., golf or tennis clubs)
  • Military recreation
  • Commercial or “for-profit” agencies (e.g., theme parks, fitness centers)
  • Public, corporate, campus, or correctional recreation
  • Adventure-based outdoor programs and adventure travel/outfitting companies
  • Federal programs (e.g., U.S. Forest Service, National Parks Service, Bureau of Land Management)

Therapeutic Recreation (TR)

Graduates in the therapeutic recreation major are qualified to obtain entry-level positions in the following settings:

  • Special rehabilitation centers for persons with physical disabilities
  • Mental health facilities that treat a variety of psychological impairments
  • Nursing homes and retirement centers
  • Residential centers that care for persons with developmental disabilities
  • Some TR specialists also find employment in schools, half-way houses, community recreation programs, or correctional institutions

Department Programs

  • BS Major: Recreation, Tourism and Therapeutic Recreation. Students in this major may elect Track A, Recreation and Tourism (RT) or Track B, Therapeutic Recreation (TR). While a minor is not required for the RTTR programs, many students elect to complete both tracks and/or add an additional minor such as adventure tourism or wellness coaching.
  • BS Minor: Adventure Tourism (ADVT). This is an interdisciplinary program sponsored by the RTTR Department.

Travel Study Opportunities

Within the department’s interdisciplinary Adventure Tourism (ADVT) minor, travel/study opportunities are offered in Australia, New Zealand, Costa Rica, and the Northern Plain states. Students are not required to be RTTR majors or ADVT minors to take advantage of these programs. Students should see the department chairperson for details.

Pass/No Credit (P/NC) Courses

Except for internships, students majoring or minoring in RTTR programs must take all courses in the major, minor, and options on a grade-only basis. Courses offered for pass/no credit-only or grade-only are so designated in the course descriptions. If no grading method is listed for a particular course in the course descriptions, the course may be taken for either grade or pass/no credit.

General Studies Intensive Requirements

Oral ()
Math/Critical Analysis (◆)
Writing (△)

Intensive courses that can be used to satisfy RTTR major/minor requirements are identified in the lists of required courses and electives in this section.