Feb 08, 2023
92 credits (no minor required)
2.75 GPA required.
Letter grade (C or better) required in all major courses unless otherwise noted. B grade or better required in CMST 493, ENG 290, ENG 291, and ENG 402. Major courses may be repeated only once, unless an appeal has been approved.
Teachers in communication arts and literature are generally recruited to coach/direct one or more of the following activities: (1) forensics/speech, (2) debate, (3) journalism/newspaper/yearbook, (4) literary journal, (5) theater, (6) radio station, (7) related activities. Therefore, all communication arts and literature majors are required to show competency in two of the aforementioned categories. Students will be required to submit a portfolio in CMST 493 - Teaching and Coaching Oral Communication (Grades 5-12) demonstrating their participation in two or more of these categories. This participation could have been gained in various settings: high school, college, community activities, or work-related assignments. If students have no experience in at least two of the categories, they will need to acquire that experience during their college careers, either through volunteer experience or through activities courses (for credit) in Communication Studies, English, Mass Communication, and Theatre/Dance.
B grade or better required in a college-level writing course (ENG 111), B grade or better required in a college-level speech course (CMST 191 or CMST 192), and a C grade or better required in a college-level math course before applying to the teaching program.
Required Courses (56 credits)
Literature (6 credits)
Choose two (one must include significant Shakespeare component):
Communication Studies (15 credits)
B grade or better required.
Theatre and Dance (3 credits)
Teacher Education Licensure Program Information
Students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Unit before taking Professional Education courses. This process is competitive; the number of students admitted each semester is limited. Admission is based on grades (2.75 GPA) and other measures. For more information on this Admission process, visit the Teacher Education Program Admissions page.
All Winona State University Teacher Education Licensure Programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board. Please contact your program advisor for the latest information about program requirements whether you are (1) applying to a teacher education program, or (2) currently enrolled in a teacher education program.
Criteria required semester before completing online application:
- 30 college level credits completed with no more than 4 credits of pass/no credit courses
- Cumulative G.P.A. of at least ≥ 2.75 based on 30 most recent credits including all credits per semester
- B grade or better in a 3-credit college level writing course (ENG 111 if taken at WSU)
- B grade or better in a 3-credit college level speech course (CMST 191 or 192 if taken at WSU)
- C grade or better in a 3-credit college level math course (Math 202 is required for Elementary and Early Childhood majors)
- Early Clinical experience; clinical hours ≥ 15 hours:
- Can be met by taking college level course(s) with clinical hours (including courses enrolled in the semester of the TE Admission application). Syllabus/clinical hour evaluation needed if non-WSU course.
- Can be met through a comparable work or volunteer experience completed after high school graduation. Complete Early Clinical Form with supervisor and return to 212 Cathedral.
Professional Education Sequence (36 credits)
Note: Teacher education majors must complete all Professional Education Sequence courses in addition to content area courses. Refer to Teacher Education Licensure Programs for more information.
- EDFD 401 and 461 must be taken concurrently
- EDFD 421 and 441 must be taken concurrently
- EDFD 459 and 462 must be taken concurrently
Student Teaching (12 credits)
Except under unusual circumstances, the English Department recommends for student teaching only those students who have a minimum 2.75 GPA and who have earned at least a B grade in each of the following courses: ENG 290, ENG 291, ENG 402, and MCOM 493.
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement
✪ = Civic Engagement and Service Learning