Apr 17, 2021
120 S.H. (no minor required)
2.5 GPA required.
C grade or better required in major courses.
Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC) & Winona State University (WSU)
First two years: Associate in Sciences (AS) degree in Alcohol and Drug Studies at RCTC (The award of the AS degree waives WSU General Education Goal requirements except for the Physical Development & Wellness and Intensive requirements.)
Second two years: Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) Degree at WSU
RCTC Requirements (66 S.H.)
General Education Requirements (41 S.H.)
Courses must be selected from those approved to satisfy the competencies of Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MNTC) Goals 1-10. Consult the RCTC catalog listings to determine the specific courses that apply to the areas below.
Goal 1: Written and Oral Communication (11 S.H.)
- ENGL 1117 - Reading & Writing Critically I (4 S.H.) †
- ENGL 1118 - Reading & Writing Critically II (4 S.H.) †
- SPCH 1114 - Fundamentals of Speech (3 S.H.)
Goal 2: Critical Thinking
Met by any course in MNTC Goals 1-10.
Goal 3: Natural Science (7 S.H.)
- BIOL - 1110 Human Biology (4 S.H.)
A second course with lab from the following areas:
- Chemistry (3 S.H.)
- Earth Science (3 S.H.)
- Physics (3 S.H.)
Goal 4: Mathematics (4 S.H.)
- MATH 2208 - Fundamentals of Statistics (4 S.H.)
Goal 5: History and Social Sciences (10 S.H.)
- PSYC 2618 - General Psychology (4 S.H.)
- PSYC 2626 - Human Growth an Development (3 S.H.)
- SOC 1614 - Introduction to Sociology (3 S.H.)
Goal 6: Humanities and Fine Arts (9 S.H.)
- SPAN 1001 - Introduction to Hispanic Cultures (3 S.H.)
Two additional 3 S.H. courses from two different areas:
- English Literature
- Humanities †
- Journalism (American Cinema)
- Philosophy †
Select a Goal 7, 8, 9, 10 course if these areas have not been met by the courses used to meet Goals 1, 3, 4, 5, or 6.
† Honors equivalent available.
Professional Program Courses (25 S.H.)
- HS 1710 - Foundations of Alcohol and Drug Counseling (3 S.H.)
- HS 1720 - Co-Occurring Disorders (3 S.H.)
- HS 1730 - Screening and Assessment of Disorders (2 S.H.)
- HS 1740 - Pharmacology of Addiction (2 S.H.)
- HS 1750 - Case Management and Ethics (3 S.H.)
- HS 1760 - Multicultural Aspects of Addiction (3 S.H.)
- HS 1770 - Alcohol and Drug Counseling Practicum I (3 S.H.)
- HS 1780 - Alcohol and Drug Counseling Practicum II (3 S.H.)
- The Physical Development and Wellness electives are required for WSU BSW degree completion. It may be completed at RCTC.
- Students should apply to Winona State University at the beginning of their third semester at RCTC.
- Students should enroll in WSU’s ◎ SOCW 340 - Introduction to Social Work and Social Welfare in the spring semester before finishing their AS with RCTC.
- Up to 72 S.H. from RCTC (or from RCTC and another MN State Community College) may be transferred to WSU.
Statistics (3 S.H.)
Diversity Requirement (3 S.H.)
The number of open electives is determined by remaining credits necessary to attain the 120 S.H. required for a Bachelor’s degree at WSU. All required RCTC TECH credits are counted toward the total 120 S.H. needed for WSU’s BSW degree. This allows RCTC students to transfer in all required Human Services - ADC/S coursework to WSU.
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement
✪ = Civic Engagement and Service Learning