Apr 17, 2021
50 S.H. (No minor required)
Note: All Winona State University teacher education programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Board of Teaching. Please contact your program advisor and refer to the Teacher Education Addendum for the latest information about program requirements whether you are (1) applying to a teacher education program, or (2) currently enrolled in a teacher education program.
Professional Education Sequence
Teaching majors must take all courses in the Professional Education Sequence in addition to courses in the content area. To be admitted into the Professional Education Sequence and to qualify for graduation, students majoring in physical education must have both a 2.75 overall GPA and a 2.50 GPA in the major. Students can expand their career options by taking dual majors, minors, adapted physical education licensure, or a coaching minor.
Refer to the “Teacher Education Licensure Programs ” section of this catalog for the list of courses in the Professional Education Sequence for your teaching degree program.
Professional Educational Sequence (36 S.H.)
Note: Teacher education majors must take all courses in the Professional Education Sequence in addition to courses in the content area. Refer to the “Teacher Education Licensure Programs ” section of this catalog for more information.
- EFRT 401 and 461 must be taken concurrently
- EFRT 421 and 441 must be taken concurrently
- EFRT 459 and 462 must be taken concurrently
- Students are also required to take 12 S.H. of Student Teaching. This course varies by department and program. See advisor for more information.
Required Physical Education
Methods Courses (17 S.H.)
Content Courses (14 S.H.)
Science Courses (11-12 S.H.)
Statistics – STAT (3 S.H.)
Developmental/Adapted Physical Education Licensure
Candidates seeking licensure in developmental/adapted physical education (D/APE) must:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree and a valid teaching license in physical education (K-12) or be enrolled in the physical education teaching major.
- Complete nine semester hours of core skills area requirements in special education:
SPED 300 - Children and Youth with Exceptionalities (3)
SPED 405 - Student Management Systems (3)
SPED 420 - Special Education Administrative Procedures (3)
- Complete the physical education teacher preparation program, which consists of 50 semester hours.
- Complete the D/APE licensure course requirements not included in the physical education major: PESS 331 - Perceptual Motor Development (2) and PESS 434 - Developmental/Adapted Physical Education Practicum (4).
Developmental/adapted physical educators will be eligible for licensure in the State of Minnesota when the preceding process is implemented. Practicing teachers may request that their teaching experience and preparation in D/APE be evaluated and credited. Teachers will be asked to complete evaluation forms, documenting their teaching experience and preparation in D/APE. The candidate will be expected to file a formal application with the WSU Office of Admissions and to schedule a consultation regarding deficiencies or additional requirements needed prior to receiving licensure certification. For additional information, candidates should contact Physical Education & Sport Science, Memorial Hall 122, Winona State University, Winona, MN 55987.
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement