Oct 26, 2020
Note: All Winona State University teacher education programs are continuously updated to reflect new licensure requirements from the Minnesota Board of Teaching. Please contact your program advisor and refer to the Teacher Education Addendum for the latest information about program requirements whether you are (1) applying to a teacher education program, or (2) currently enrolled in a teacher education program.
The Geoscience Department, in cooperation with other science departments and the College of Education, has developed a Minnesota Board of Teaching (BOT)-approved program which meets the BOT licensure requirements in place at the time the catalog went to press. Students should be aware that the program described below may change significantly in the near future, as the BOT considers changes to the Science Licensure programs; therefore, students should work closely with their academic advisor to ensure that they will be able to graduate with a BOT-approved degree. Completion of the program outlined below will enable the student to apply for a license to teach grades 9-12 Earth & Space Science Specialty and grades 5-8 General Science Specialty.
General Education Program (19 S.H.)
Arts and Sciences Core (6 S.H.)
Natural Science (0)
(filled by major requirements)
Fine and Performing Arts (3)
Unity and Diversity (3 S.H.)
Contemporary Citizenship or Democratic Institutions (3)
Intensive Requirements (0 S.H.)
EARTH SCIENCE REQUIREMENTS (29-30S.H.)
Geoscience Courses - GEOS (34-36 S.H.)
GEOSCIENCE ELECTIVES (4-7 S.H.)
Choose 4-7 additional credits from the following Geoscience Focus Areas:
Part III: ROCKS & TECTONICS
Part IV: GEOSCIENCE CAPSTONE
OTHER REQUIRED COURSES (36-38 S.H.)
Chemistry – CHEM (12 S.H.)
Mathematics and Statistics – MATH (6-8 S.H.)
Health, Exercise Science and Rehabilitative Sciences – HERS (3 S.H.)
Special Education – SPED (3 S.H.)
PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION SEQUENCE
- Students must be admitted to the teacher education program before they enroll in Professional Education Sequence courses. See your academic advisor or the Department of Education Admissions Coordinator for more information.
- Teaching majors must take all courses in the Professional Education Sequence in addition to courses in the content area listed below. Refer to these requirements in the Teacher Education Licensure Programs section of this catalog.
- EFRT 401 and 461 must be taken concurrently
- EFRT 421 and 441 must be taken concurrently
- EFRT 459 and 462 must be taken concurrently
In addition to the above course requirements, all students must demonstrate that they have:
- Participated in two outreach events (e.g., judged a local, regional, or state science fair, mentored K-12 students on their science fair projects, hosted a geoscience visit by a K-12 class).
- Worked as a departmental teaching assistant or peer tutor in geoscience.
◎ = Oral Intensive
◆ = Math/Critical Analysis Intensive
△ = Writing Intensive
✽ = Physical Development and Wellness Graduation Requirement